Import/ export code, or commonly referred to as IE Code, is unique 10 digit code issued by DGFT – Director General of Foreign Trade, Ministry of Commerce, Government of India to Indian Companies. To import or export in India, IEC Code is mandatory. No person or entity shall make any Import or Export without IEC Code Number. An IEC number allotted to an applicant shall be valid for all its branches/divisions/units/factories and has life time validity.
Filing of application in for 2A to the regional DGFT
Online Filing of ANF 2A along with scanned copy of documents.
Payment of Application fee.
Issuance of IE code by Regional DGFT, after verification of documents.
– IEC stands for Import Export code. It is 10 digit code which is required for carrying out import and export activities to and fro from India.
– No. IEC forms a primary document for recognition by Govt. of India as an Exporter/ Importer and no such trade could be carried out without this code.
– Yes. IEC code can be modified after payment of due fees and penalties.
– Normally it takes 3-4 working days for processing.
– Yes. An NRI can also apply for IEC code subject to special permission from RBI in some cases.
– Yes, a duplicate IEC code can be applied for by submitting duly filled in application and submission of affidavit along with requisite fee.
–The following categories of importers or exporters are exempted from obtaining Importer – Exporter Code (IEC) number:
However, the exemption from obtaining Importer-Exporter Code (IEC) number shall not be applicable for the export of Special Chemicals, Organisms, Materials, Equipments and Technologies (SCOMET) as listed in Appendix- 3, Schedule 2 of the ITC(HS) except in the