FSSAI is an abbreviation used for Food Safety and Standards Authority of India. FSSAI is applicable to food start ups and food business entrepreneurs. Anyone who handles, processes, manufactures, sells, serves, stores, distributes, transports or imports food is required to obtain FSSAI license. Thus, a failure to obtain the FSSAI license or non compliance will lead to penal procedures along with permanent or temporary suspension.
The Process of application starts with identification of eligibility of your premise. Depending upon the installed capacity (in case of manufactures) and/or turnover (for other kind of Businesses) and/or Location, your Premise may be eligible for any of the following categories:
1. Central License: Turnover more than Rs. 20 crores and quantity more than the specified units as prescribed by the Registering Authority depending upon product to product.
2. State License: Turnover more than Rs 12 Lakh and up to Rs 20 crores or Rs. 30 crores in some cases and quantity less than the specified units as prescribed by the Registering Authority depending upon product to product.
3. Basic Registration: Turnover less than Rs 12 Lakhs or and quantity less than the specified units as prescribed by the Registering Authority depending upon product to product.
Checking the eligibility.
Choosing the category under which to obtain the registration.
Filing of the online application and payment of registration fee.
Submission of documents with the authorities.
Obtaining the 14 digit FSSAI license.
– License/ Registration can be applied for 1 to 5 years, basis the requirements of the person applying for it.
– Yes, FSSAI license can be renewed 30 days before it is due for expiry.
– No, an expired license cannot be renewed. Whole registration procedure needs to be followed again.
– A client operating from multiple states needs to obtain Central License for the registered office of the company and individual state licenses for each manufacturing unit in particular states.
– Yes, a duplicate license can be obtained upon payment of certain fees.